Thursday, April 30, 2009

N.A.B.

...if I was really into blogging I would have posted this a week ago. I went to the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) convention in Las Vegas from April 20-23 to see what's new in the toolset for digital content acquisition. It was impressive, even though, in this down economy this year's show drew only 80,000 people. I needed to go. I most likely will have need of a new video camera and related production gear in the fourth calendar quarter this year. I went to see, get hands-on and evalutae the latest Panasonic, Sony, Canon & JVC cameras. Likewise, lighting, grip, monitoring, sound, post-production and storage vendors were quizzed and offerings viewed and evaluated. It was a well-spent three and a half days as I firmed up several decisions regarding tools for my next documentary project. I also discovered PhotoMotion, a nice post tool for my current project - a Final Cut Pro plug-in that does a great job and does it easily. And the Final Cut Supermeet Tuesday night at the Rio, just off the Strip, was good fun too -- even though I didn't win anything in the "World Famous Raffle".

Small World Principle Affirmed: At the beginning of the second half of the Supermeet, after the break, I walked down the center aisle to get within the first 10 rows from stage. Looking for a vacant seat in the dim lighting, I spotted one on the right, slid in past three or four people, and took a seat. The person to my left greeted me by name. I looked at the person I had just passed by in the dark and recognized Antonio Rego -- from Davis -- sitting there. What are the odds? Small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment